05 December 2010

Surrounds of Hawling.





The area around Hawling is pretty great, isn't it? If something flies, you see it. Today it was at its best - practically cloudless, practically windless and rammed with birds.

So. Many. Fieldfares.

I went for the Hen Harrier that had been seen a few times in the last week. Alas no sign. Raptor action extended only to five Buzzards, three Kestrels and one probable Merlin disappearing rapidly into vegetation.

I always figure that two and a half to three hours is fair game for a location, however the profusion of Redwings, Skylarks, Yellowhammers, Corn Buntings and Linnets (big flocks of the last two) actually kept me occupied for longer. I think I spent nearly four hours checking out the various sites. There were also smaller numbers of Chaffinch, Wren, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Common Gull and Stock Dove (oh and, y'know... corvids). Finally, a Grey Heron flew over the 'Short-eared Owl' field. The same field also held a single Brown Hare.



Still, the magical moment I had hoped for - when my first ever Hen Harrier would obligingly soar above me cast in distinctive silhouette against the pale blue sky - failed to materialise. It will though. It will.

No comments: