14 October 2010

Barn Owl.

I drove out to Roel Gate straight after work earlier in the week. I pitched slightly off the crossroads at about 5.15pm, and remained until it was dark. It was almost dark before a Barn Owl (year tick 201) finally showed - 6.45pm. After more crows than you could shake a stick at, I caught in the corner of my eye something with a different flight. Softly, softly. Alas, as I turned around I lost it. All was not lost, however. Ten to fifteen mniutes later, as it got darker still, I was sat on the grass and looked up - only to see a Barn Owl glide overhead. Like a spectre.

Whilst I waited I chalked up 2 Buzzards, 1 Kestrel, 1 male Great Spotted Woodpecker, 1 Green Woodpecker, 1 male Stonechat, 2 Coal Tits, a flock of Long-tailed Tits and many Linnets and Meadow Pipits.

Will do this again, soon. Maybe I'll get a Barn Owl before it's too dark to fully appreciate it.

No comments: