11 April 2010

All that for a Redstart.

A lovely Redstart, mind you (although my poor pic doesn't do it justice):



A morning / early afternoon on Cleeve Hill in pursuit of a Redstart and Ring Ouzels was only half-satisfactory. Got the Redstart (year tick 129) within two minutes of arriving at the Wash Pool. Spent the rest of the morning looking for Ring Ouzels - across (what felt like!) the whole of the Hill. Out to the Radio Masts (will park there in future), and everywhere else in between. Lots of Skylarks, Yellowhammers, Willow Warblers, Chiffchaffs, Linnets, Meadow Pipits, Kestrels, etc... and zillions of Blackbirds.

Frustration. I was so diligent. Of course, I will try again.

(still no damn Wheatear!)





I toyed with the idea of trying Slimbridge for the Spotted Redshank seen yesterday. But as I wandered along the canal bank to Saul to try for the drake Garganey I bumped into another birder who had already looked around the reserve to no effect. So I decided that the Garganey would be the final bird of the day.

No Garganey. 45 minutes scanning the flashes with a Buzzard, Teal, Shovelers, Mallards, Mute Swans, Gadwall, Redshank, Chiffchaffs, Long-tailed Tits, Willow Warblers and so forth.

Got fed up. Went home.

No comments: