27 March 2010

Swallows.

I knew I wouldn't get another chance to see some birds this weekend, so I hauled myself out of bed and popped down to Witcombe Reservoirs early in the am.

A total of 27 species noted:

Pied Wagtail x2 (pic below), Mute Swan x12, Tufted Duck c.20, Great-crested Grebe x14, Herring Gull x7, Common Gull x1, Coots (of course!), Canada Geese, Oystercatcher x1, Mallards, Crows, Jackdaws, Woodpigeons, Pochard x1m, Buzzard x2 (pic below), Blackbirds, Magpies, Blue Tits, Chiffchaffs x3 (heard only), Great Tits, Greenfinch (heard only), Pheasant (heard only), Robin, Coal Tits, Cormorant x4, House Sparrows.

What made the trip worthwhile however, were my first Swallows of the year. A small group of 6 or 7 birds flew in from a southerly direction and spent 15 minutes in the area (over the water mostly).



No comments: