04 April 2010

Pinkfoot.

I took a trip to Slimbridge this morning to finally tick the Pink-footed Goose. Fortunately, it was still there. Unfortunately, it was sleeping for quite sometime before it rose to feed. Here it is amongst some Shelduck, Coot and Barnacle Geese:



Having done that, I scooted off the the 100 Acre viewing platform to see what was about. Truthfully, I had hoped to see a Water Pipit - but that was a no go. There was actually a lot of good stuff there including Skylarks, Swallows, Sand Martins (year tick), usual ducks, Redshank, Coot, Moorhen, Black-tailed Godwits and a single Greenshank (year tick). I also got a fantastic close view of a Willow Warbler (year tick) when one landed on the bushes right next to the viewing platform. It was ten to fifteen seconds before it clocked me standing right next to it. I've decided that this stuff about confusing Willow Warblers and Chiffchaffs until they sing is nonsense - they're very different (unlike Gulls!).

The Willow Warbler was my 126th year tick.

There was also a Bittern in the reeds behind the viewing platform. Once it flew and was mobbed by gulls, and once it crossed a narrow grassy area on foot. Both times it was seen by other birders - but neither time by myself!

Chatting to a couple of other birders on the platform, I gathered that the Little Gull was no longer on the sailing lake - and so didn't bother going to look for it.

Back home to watch Everton vs. West Ham, I decided.

No comments: