10 January 2010

It's too hard.

To walk, that is. Snow saps the energy. Layers and layers of winter-wear, however, keeps one warm.

This was mostly a weekend of chalking off more easy birds - like Great Spotted Woodpecker, Common Gull, Raven, Little Grebe and Greenfinch. Also a Snipe (*on* the road down to Slimbridge - approaching the bridge!). Had to swerve to avoid it! To be honest it looked rather lost and bewildered before it flew off back towards the reserve. That is, if a Snipe can ever look bewildered!

Nevertheless, visits to Frampton (from the 100 Acre platform, at least 100 Curlew feeding and occasionally wheeling around in flight - noisy devils!), Slimbridge and Witcombe were pleasant. Witcombe particularly lovely when carpeted in snow.

Three male Bullfinches in the snow at Witcombe today were the highlight - picture perfect as they foraged for food. I think they're brilliant birds, and always get excited when I see them. Made me wish I had digiscoping equipment though... but as it stood I was only able to shove my Canon Ixus 990IS upto the eyepiece. Sometimes I can get them sharp when using this unhelpful setup, but today I had no real success. Plus it was cold, and I didn't want to leave my hands unprotected for too long! Once I've got a tripod I like, I'll have to look into getting digiscoping equipment.


The other really nice view was the Great Spotted Woodpecker at the very top of a bare tree nearby to Court Lake at Frampton. I caught it in sunshine as it hammered away at a some sort of cone - prising it apart with great precision. All alone on the branch. Great stuff. Meanwhile a Robin took umbridge at my presence and proceeded to launch itself at me from a nearby hedgerow. Brave little thing. At one point I know it was standing on my shoulder as I observed the Woodpecker.

Oh and the Dumbles at Slimbridge yesterday put me in mind of the Arctic rather than Gloucestershire! On the plus side, I've never had the Holden Tower all to myself midway through a Saturday before!

Year total now 68. Keeping my list here.

No comments: